Tuesday, June 10

Beauty from Within.



Makeup is not going to do you any good when beneath the layers of moisturizer, primer, foundation, powder, blush, bronzer, and highlighter is just unhealthy, dehydrated, and acne ridden skin. 3 years ago I would have laughed if you told me that all of those layers of product didn't make me look better than I did without them. But really, maybe all of those layers are what is causing the trouble. I'm not saying that you have to stop wearing all your makeup but maybe let your skin breathe.

I've been through the whole program with hating my skin, like most girls. I have tried all of the marketed acne systems, been to the dermatologist for numerous years, and used any type of remedy that I could get my hands on. Nothing worked no matter how diligent I was. The funny thing is that my skin is at it's best with no prescription antibiotics or 3 step systems. What changed my life is minimalism when it comes to daily makeup and rebuilding my body from within. I no longer slap on concealer to hide blemishes because...well.. I don't have them. The less skin problems I have, the less I find myself reaching for tens of products. Layering, unlike with clothes, doesn't really work with makeup.

What works

  1. Drink tons of water. At first you're going to pee every 10 minutes but then your body adjusts and you go every 15..kidding. Water has been magical for my skin and myself in general. When people first give up sugary drinks for water they absolutely hate the taste. But then as you drink more and more you start to crave it. I haven't had a soda in over a year and I can't say that I have had any cravings. If you still think water is bland, infuse it, add lemon, berries, mint, or orange slices. With water you are cleansing your internal organs and helping your body function optimally. Dehydrated skin is not a good look.
  2. This might seem repetitive but every morning start with a cup of warm water and half a lemon. If the water is hot or boiling it simply negates every potential benefit the lemon had. This helps jump start your whole body and the tangy taste will help wake you up. You can also sweeten it with a teaspoon of honey. The acidity from the lemon will help balance the ph of your body and promote healthier skin and keep you glowing. 
  3. When your skin is giving you a hard time start from scratch. When I had really bad skin I thought the more products I add on the better all of those things would work together. Wrong. When your skin starts acting up start simple and let it breathe don't suffocate it with tons of chemicals. If you want, play it by ear and slowly add whatever you prefer....I recommend keeping it to a minimum.
  4. Try to stay as natural as possible. Instead of a toner with tons of drying alcohols and irritating fragrances add a couple drops of tea tree oil on a cotton pad. I love the refreshing feeling and it keeps my oily skin in balance. 
  5. Maybe you don't need to wash your face twice a day. There was a point in my life where I was washing my face 3 times a day and stripping it of all the essential oils to keep it moisturized and healthy. Wash your face at night and in the mornings let the shower water rinse of what is left or use a micellar solution to refresh. 
  6. SPF SPF SPF. And no your foundation or powder does not have the proper spf. Sunscreen is that million dollar youth serum everyone is searching for. Start wearing SPF daily at a young age and when you're 50 find this post and thank me. 
  7. Do not touch your face. It hard to do. Even I can't master it. But your hands are gross and they touch hundreds of bacteria ridden surfaces a day. Then you go on to prop your chin against your hand and there come those tiny bumps you hate. Don't touch just look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment